Components of a Child Support Order
A court order for child support consists of several component parts including:
- An order to pay a certain sum of money each month
- An order to provide medical insurance coverage for the child/children
- An order to pay an additional amount of support if the child or children are not covered by private medical insurance. This is known as cash medical support
- An order apportioning financial responsibility for the child/children’s medical expenses not otherwise covered by insurance or the payment of cash medical support
- An order specifying which parent may claim the child/children as dependents for income tax purposes.
DISCLAIMER: THIS INFORMATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. It is a general overview for informational purposes only regarding procedure. YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY FOR LEGAL ADVICE REGARDING ISSUES SPECIFIC TO YOUR CASE.